Header Ads

Eight sports presenters and analysts given the boot by SABC

A group of eight sports presenters and analysts has been shown the door by the beleaguered SABC, bringing the number of casualties to 13.

The eight were fired, allegedly because the public broadcaster could not afford to pay them because it is going through financial difficulties.

Sunday World reports that football legend Marks Maponyane and coach Mike Mangena, together with Papi Khomane, Rabbie Moripe, Gloria Brown and Fabian McCarthy were issued with letters by SABC sports management in June informing them ofthe SABC's intention not to renew their contracts when the new soccer season kicks off.
Mike Mangena

Also included on the list was Soccer Laduma presenter Tshepo Mabona.

Former referee Sylvester Ndaba, who is known for his critical reviews of PSL games on the Monday night highlights show SoccerZone, has also been red-carded.

The eight sports entertainers will join David Kekana, Lindani Mbense, Kwena Moabelo, Christopher Bongo and Cudjoe Amankwa who were given their marching orders earlier this month.

Metro FM sports presenter Robert Marawa was also let go in one of the most shocking moves yet by the SABC.

Sunday World reported two weeks ago the group escalated their dissatisfaction with the process that led to their dismissal and sought the intervention of the interim board.

Mabona confirmed he was booted out by the SABC, but claimed the process was unfair.

"I was informed four days before the end of my term that my contract would not be renewed. I was told that I have been extremely professional and not a single complaint had been received about my performance, but that the company is not doing well financially," he said.

Mabona also said he recently snubbed a meeting called by management to discuss their dismissal letters and had instead sought legal advice.
Marks Maponyane

"I received a meeting request at 11.51am for a meeting at 1pm, which I did not attend. I did not find it respectful to be given such short notice. I have not heard any formal communication from any official at the SABC and I have forwarded the termination letter e-mailed to me on July 4 to my legal adviser. I have no birth right to a position at the SABC, but I think fairness should have been applied in dealing with independent contractors," he said.

SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said: "The matter is being handled by management. We are dealing with them based on their contracts and the matter has also been elevated to the board, and it's been handled at that level."

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.